Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Words, Build or Destroy?


Scripture:
Proverbs 15:1-4
(NIV)
A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
The tongue of the wise adorns knowledge,
but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.
The eyes of the LORD are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
The soothing tongue is a tree of life,
but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit. 

Devotional:

I can see the effects of words in my six year old as clearly as I can see the sun rise in the morning.  Loving words spoken gently brings smiles and hugs.  Harsh, or reprimanding, words send her off to her room to hide.  I just love to see her smile and bounce around the house.  Reading proverbs 15:1-4 is a very powerful verse to read.  With the power of just a few words we can crush someone’s spirit.  We can devastate people by what we say.  We can tear them down by how we speak as well.  A raised voice builds up defenses.  I rather loudly and harshly would ask my son which he prefers.  When I speak harsh and yell at him or when I speak softer and gentle.  I try to explain that not only what we say matters but how we say it.  

A soft and soothing voice can win hearts and build spirits.  We have all heard the saying “sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.”  After hearing my mom or teachers tells me this over and over I finally realized, some years later, that they were dead wrong.  Sticks and stones may hurt the flesh.  Words can destroy a spirit and crush someone’s life.  Broken bones heal much quicker than a crushed spirit.  The good news is that Jesus can heal ALL wounds, even those that are on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment