Tuesday, April 17, 2012

All I Have


Scripture:
Philippians 3:1-11
(NIV)

Further, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you. Watch out for those dogs, those evildoers, those mutilators of the flesh. For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh— though I myself have reasons for such confidence. 

If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.

But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. 

Devotional:

What is the most valuable thing you have?  What is it you place the most importance in?  Are you will you willing to give it all up for Christ?  Paul indicated that he gave everything up for Christ.  His most valuable possessions or “gains” are nothing; they were insignificant in comparison to Christ.  He gained righteousness through Christ.  He gained something that had a value a hundred times and more than the most valuable passion in this world.

What are you holding onto that keeps you from the most valued prize in all eternity?  Are you willing to give it all up for Christ?  Are you found and made worthy and righteous through Christ?  We are born into this world with nothing.  We will leave the same way.  We cannot take any of the worldly possessions, status, and prestige we gain with us.   In the end we only have that which Christ has given us, Grace.  Through Christ we are made righteous and worthy.  Through the death and resurrection of Jesus we have salvation, the most valuable gift you can ever receive.  What good is gold?  What good is prestige, power, and worldly possessions?  In the end they are all left behind.  As mighty as we think we are, we are nothing compared to Christ.  The ant is insignificant to a person.  Look how tiny the ant is, helpless in comparison.  We are insignificant and helpless in comparison to Jesus.  We are nothing without Him.  It is through Him that we are able to do great things.  It is through Him that we are made worthy…  All I have I consider a loss so that I might gain through Christ…

No comments:

Post a Comment