Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Finding Contentment In All Things



Scripture:
Philippians 4:11-13
(NIV)

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Devotional:

One of the hardest lessons I am learning is being content with where I am at now.  Too often I look at what I don’t have and what I want.  It could be that new car or better job, or even a tablet or iPad.  It is way too easy for me to look at what others have and not be content.  

God has been working on my heart, helping me to realize I do have all I need.  He is sufficient for me.  Paul tells us that he is content regardless of his circumstances.  How can he be?  Because he put his focus on God and not on himself or his circumstances.  He received God’s joy and fulfillment.  “Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure” Psalm 16:5 (NIV).

There are times when we will be in need.  We will have wants and desires.  We will also look for the new and better.  There is nothing wrong with this, unless we make it our priority or focus.  When we forget God or put these things first we lose our contentment.  We start to feel inadequate.  We let our circumstances dictate how we feel.  Instead keep your eyes focused on God.  Keeping Him first and foremost in our lives is key to finding contentment and joy wherever we are.  Paul figured this out and is a great example for us to follow.  Remember that Christ gives us strength.  We can do all things and have His peace.  The Holy Spirit fills us and enables us.  I encourage you to travel this road with me.  Let us find our joy that comes from God.  Let us become content in all things through Him that enables us.

No comments:

Post a Comment