Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Redeemed



Scripture:
Psalm 51:5-9
(NASB)

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins
And blot out all my iniquities.
 
Devotional:

We hear people say “I was born that way” or “This is genetic and passed down” all the time.  Even alcoholism is stated to be inherent.  If the parents are alcoholics then the child has a greater chance to being one as well.  Something that is definitely inherited is sin.  Deuteronomy 5:9 (NASB):

You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Once sin entered into mankind through Adam and Eve all have inherited sin.  For through them sin entered this world.  It is also through one man that we are cleansed, made whole again.  

In verse seven David pleads to God to be cleansed.  He asks God to wash away his sin.  Jesus is the hyssop that washes our sins.  Through Him we are forgiven.  We are sinful by nature, we inherited sin from as far back as Adam and Eve.  We are brought into a fallen and sinful world.  Before we are even conceived we stand condemned.  But through Christ we are redeemed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment