Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Plate Is Overflowing



Scripture:
Acts 6:1-3
(NIV)

In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Hellenistic Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them

Devotional:

There came a point where the Apostles became overwhelmed with everything that needed to be done.  There were tasks being neglected and people were being over looked.  The job and responsibilities became too burdensome and too much for them to handle.    So delegation became critical.

What are you trying to do that has put you over the top?  I look at my own plate and see all the things I am doing and all the things I want to add to it.  I look and think that there is too much there already.  How can I possibly add more?  Well the answer is simple but one we do not like to hear.  We have to remove items from our plate.  Sometimes there still isn’t room to add more.  We just clear the plate so it is manageable.  To add more you have to clear more stuff off.  In essence that is what the Apostles did.  They took some tasks and delegated them to others so that it could be done properly.  Then no one was neglected.  

As I look at my plate I see things I am ready to remove but I ask myself how.  I just don’t see how to remove items.  Even still the removal of one or two doesn’t give enough room to add new ones.  My plate is full.  How is your plate?  Are you trying to place too many tasks onto your plate?  Is it full and even over flowing?  Prayerfully look at all you do.  Think about what you are willing to remove and what you want to keep.  Compare your list to God’s list. It isn’t a bad thing to clear your plate once in a while.  It can also be a good thing to say no, even to what is God’s work.  Just because it is God’s work doesn’t mean it is your work.

The Apostles realized they had to say no to some very important, even critical tasks.  So that they could continue in what God really wanted them to do.  If they can say no and delegate it is OK for you to as well…    

No comments:

Post a Comment