Thursday, July 29, 2010

Stop and Smell the Roses...

Scripture:
2 Peter 3:1-9 NIV Version

Retrieved from www.biblegateway.com

1Dear friends, this is now my second letter to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking. 2I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.

3First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 5But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Our society today just about everything is rushed the quicker the better. There are fast food restaurants, other services are provided either same or next day, there are thirty minute oil lubes. We get frustrated if we have to hold on a phone for 10 minutes or longer. Today people rush around and want results while they wait, and it better not take more than just a few minutes. One example I can think of is a Permits and Inspections or Planning & Zoning office at a local county government. There were times when I would be in the office and someone would come in wanting a permit or a map. They would give their request and want it right then and there. Heaven forbid they should have to wait more than five minutes. 15 years ago the same request would take 10-14 days. Then no one thought twice about waiting two weeks. In contrast today people get bent out of shape if they have to wait 2 hours.

An old saying that we all need to remember is "Stop and smell the Roses." I think it has been lost by today's standards. I am going to make an effort to slow down to "Stop and smell the roses" from time to time. God is waiting and he is talking to us in a whisper. 1 Kings 19:12 “12After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.” If we are too busy or too loud we will miss what God is saying. We just have to be still in order to hear. I often have trouble hearing what God is trying to tell me. I wonder if, and think that, most of my problem is that too often I am too loud myself to hear God. I am being still and listening...

Prayer:
Lord Father in heaven, today help me to be still and listen. Help me to slow down my busy life. I need to “Stop and smell the roses.” My life is cluttered and loud I ask for your help so that I can become quit and listen to your words. Help me to hear your voice.

May God bless you today and everyday...

No comments:

Post a Comment